Dear Members of the Villanova College Family
Mission Day 2017 was a great celebration enjoyed by all. The students entered into the festivities with great enthusiasm and had a wonderful time enjoying the carnival and entertainment on offer. Thanks to the support of our community over $18,000 was raised to continue the work of the Australian Filipino Augustinian Solidarity (AFAS) Group in the Philippines. This is a fantastic effort by all involved in the day and I thank our Ministry Leaders, Mr John Holroyd and the many staff involved for their organisation and enthusiasm.
The Semester One Assessment Period has arrived and students have received instructions, an Assessment Schedule and expectations for the upcoming exams. Year 11 and 12 students are to attend all scheduled assessment tasks in full College uniform including hats and with all required equipment.
Below are a number of beneficial tips for students during exams:
- Do not cram the night before and stay up all night studying – instead review the main points the night before
- Avoid stressful people – use positive talk to keep stress down
- Eat well– healthy and nutritious food
- Watch caffeine intake and high energy drinks
- Prepare to be prepared – be organised and packed the night before an exam – avoid all last minute panic
- Get a good night’s sleep – regular sleep is the best way to control exam stress
- Arrive at the exam venue ahead of time with all the required equipment
- Focus – during the exam focus only on the exam and not the people around you
- Start strategically – review the whole paper before you start – select the place where you are able to start confidently
- Manage your time – work through the paper paying special attention to questions with the big marks
We wish our students every success with the upcoming End of Semester Assessment Period.
At the end of this week we farewell our visitors from St Rita’s College, Chicago. Five students accompanied by staff member, Mr Andrew DiMarco have enjoyed a wonderful two weeks experiencing life in an Australian school and the sights of Brisbane. Our families have been extremely generous in opening their homes and hearts to our visitors and making them feel welcome. The exchange program provides an opportunity for staff and students of both Augustinian Colleges to learn more about the cultures of the two countries and experience the global Augustinian family.
In the wider Augustinian family we keep in our prayers the family of professed student, Tuấn Anh Lê OSA whose brother, Phero (Peter) died in Vietnam on Monday 5 June. We also keep in our prayers the victims of the recent terrorist attacks in the United Kingdom.
Peace Prayer of St Francis (Extract)
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy.
Mr Mark Stower, Principal