The official trials for the up-coming AIC AFL, cricket and volleyball season have commenced this week. I thank the many families who were able to complete and submit their sign-on forms to the Sports Office on time. This certainly assists the Sports Office with the huge task of organising and selecting teams for the respective season ahead.
May I please ask all concerned to carefully read the section below regarding the trial schedule planned for the up-coming weeks. It is extremely important to have those students who have been asked to attend the trials this weekend to be present.
Those who are unable to attend the trials will be considered, however, they will most likely be selected in a lower graded team. Please understand that it is impossible to appraise a student’s ability and select him in a team when they are not present. Students who are unable to make trials due to their selection in representative teams must see Mr Stariha so as this information can be passed to the coaches involved.
I wish everyone all the best over the trial period. Our aim will be to publish all teams/squads in AFL, cricket and volleyball by the end of next week.
YEAR 7 – 12 TRIAL INFORMATION – Volleyball, Cricket and AFL
Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 November
The College has organised further trial games to take place this weekend – Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 November. It is important for all interested students to attend these trials as we hope to finalize teams and squads after this weekend. All times and venues are found below.
Those who don’t make an AFL or volleyball team have the option of joining a cricket team. NOTE: trials pertain to the year level the student enters in 2020. Therefore, the Year 7 trials are for students entering Year 7 in 2020.
Saturday 9 November 2019
Please note that all students who have signed up for volleyball trials will be expected to attend further trials on Saturday 9 November in Goold Hall at Villanova College. After these volleyball trials all coaches will then select their volleyball teams/squads. These squads will be posted on the web by Sunday 10 November, 6pm. If a boy fails to make a volleyball team/squad, they are welcome to join a cricket team, if this is the case please contact the Sports Office to advise – firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 3394 5621
Volleyball team list and information – https://www.vnc.qld.edu.au/student-life/co-curricular/sport/aic-volleyball/
Venue: Court 1 – Goold Hall, Nearest Main Entrance
Court 2 – Goold Hall, Near Stage
Uniform: Sports PE uniform or any suitable sports clothing
* All players need to be at their respective venues 15 minutes prior to the commencement of their game.
||Year 8 – Session Cancelled Moved to Friday 8 November 6.30-8.00am
||Year 10 – Session Cancelled Moved to Thursday 7 November 6.30-8.00am
Further Volleyball Training and Trial Games
Once boys are selected in a volleyball squad, further training will continue in Goold Hall for the next two weeks. The specific time of the training session will be the exact same time and day as the trial session held this week. There will only be one training per week for each age group for the next two weeks as well as two trial games against Iona and St Laurence’s as listed below
- Saturday 16 November – Volleyball trials against Iona, times and venues TBA
- Saturday 23 November – Volleyball trials against SLC, times and venues TBA
Saturday 9 November 2019
Please note that all students who have signed up for AFL trials will be expected to attend further trials on Saturday 9 November at Coorparoo JAFC, Birubi St, Coorparoo (Giffin Park). After these on Saturday 9 November all coaches will then select their AFL teams/squads. These squads will be posted on the web by Monday 11 November at 3pm. If a boy does not make an AFL team/squad, he is welcome to join a cricket team, if this is the case please contact the Sports Office to advise – email@example.com Phone: 3394 5621
AFL team list and information – https://www.vnc.qld.edu.au/student-life/co-curricular/sport/aic-afl/
Venue: Coorparoo JAFC, Birubi St Coorparoo, Giffin Park
Uniform: Any suitable sports clothing to play AFL including boots. Bibs will be supplied.
* All players need to be at their respective venues 30mins prior to the commencement of their game.
||Opens (Year 10, 11 and 12)
||Year 8 and Year 9
Sunday 10 November 2019
Please note the trial games for Cricket on Sunday 10 November are for selected teams/students only. NOT ALL BOYS WILL BE REQUIRED. We ask all students to check the College’s website for the team/squad lists for this weekend. This information will be posted by 3pm on Thursday 7 November. The web address is as below.
Cricket team list and information – https://www.vnc.qld.edu.au/student-life/co-curricular/sport/aic-cricket/
Those who are not required to play on Sunday 10 November will still make a team in 2020. The remaining players will be dispersed into the lower grade teams. These teams will be equal in ability and will be called a coloured team.
Venue: Villanova Park, Manly Road, Tingalpa
Venue: Kianawah Park, Wynnum Road, Tingalpa
Uniform: Villanova cricket whites or any suitable sports clothing
* All players need to be at their respective venues 30 minutes prior to the commencement of their game.
||John Seary Oval
||Villa Park No 3
||Villa Park No 4
||Kianawah Park Field 5
||Kianawah Park Field 6
||Year 9 A/B 35 Overs
||Year 7 A/B 30 overs
||Year 7C 30 Overs
||Year 9C 30 Overs
||Year 10C 30 Overs
||Year 10 A/B 35 Overs
||Year 8 A/B 30 overs
||Year 8C 30 Overs
Year 7 – Year 12 Villanova Cricket Selection Process
This article aims to clarify the selection process in order for all members of the Villanova community to understand how players are graded and how teams are selected.
The purpose of the Villanova cricket selection trials is to provide each student with an equal opportunity to display their batting and bowling skills over a 90-minute net session. External coaches are used to grade the players in order for teams to be selected.
The initial trials will take place at the Little Langlands cricket nets. At the conclusion of the trials, four teams from each age group from Year 7-10 only, will be chosen to play each other at an internal cricket trial game held on Sunday 10 November at Villanova Park or Kianawah Park. The best 22/24 players will play in an internal A/B trial; the next best 22/24 players will play each other in a C trial. At the conclusion of the game we hope to choose the A, B and C teams. Note – This will only involve 2020 teams from Year 7, Year 8, Year 9 and Year 10 students. Students who are not selected to attend these trials will automatically make a ‘coloured cricket team’. All coloured teams are of equal ability and those who make a coloured team will not be required to play a game at Villa/Kianawah Park on Sunday. Students who attend the trial game on Sunday and do not make an A, B or C team will be automatically placed in a ‘coloured team’.
Some students may not be able to make the Sunday trial game due to other cricket commitments. Please understand that selection into any club representative team/s does not guarantee a player’s selection into any Villanova team. Cricketers who are unavailable to play on the Sunday due to representative club cricket commitments will be considered for team selection, however, only their grading at the initial net session will be used.
Selection guidelines are as follows:
- There will be no more than seven students at each cricket net
- A Villanova staff member (either the Director of Sport or an AIC Sport Co-ordinator) will administrate and conduct the entire session and coordinate times for the duration of the session
- There will be externally sourced and qualified cricket coaches located at each cricket net
- Each student will get the opportunity to bat for 10 minutes
- Each student will get the opportunity to bowl a minimum of 30 deliveries
- The external cricket selectors will assess and personally rank each student based on performance displayed at the cricket net session in both batting and bowling. Each student will be given a tentative ranking in batting and bowling of either an A, B, C or D
- In addition to the physical fundamental skill set that each player displays, head coach Nathan Dufty and fellow qualified coaches will be monitoring how each student interacts and conducts themselves in the presence of fellow players on a social level i.e. is the student supportive of other team members? Is he a good “team player”? Does the student show leadership capabilities? Does the student lack confidence? etc.
- Based on the initial tentative rankings, the head coach Nathan Dufty will liaise with the Villanova College Director of Sport and both will select a combined A/B cricket squad and a combined C cricket squad.
- Once these tentative squads are agreed upon and selected, those selected will play an internal trial game at Villa/Kianawah Park on Sunday 10 November. This will provide an opportunity for each student to display their skill set in a game situation.
- Upon completion of the internal trial game the students as a collective will be divided into final team rankings of A, B, C or a coloured team in order to represent Villanova College in the season ahead. Note that current representative players who are unable to make the trial game will be considered. Their ranking from the initial net session will be used.
- Further trials have been organised v Churchie and St Patrick’s College before round 1. More information regarding these trials will be given at a later stage. The College reserves the right to change these teams depending upon attitude, performances and attendance. Therefore, teams can and will change before Round 1.
- Students entering Year 6 will have their cricket trials conducted by Villanova Staff members within school time.
PLEASE NOTE – All parents are to support this process and not engage in any undesirable conversations that may contribute towards a negative experience for all involved including the coach, other parents and players.
The ultimate aim of schoolboy sport is to ensure all students are engaged in sport and enjoy the experience of competition with their mates.
First and combined 10A/Seconds Cricket Trial Matches
Villa will play a trial match v Iona on the date listed below. Mr Nathan Dufty will select the two teams to play in the week leading up to the game and will notify those involved at the Emerging Cricket Talent training sessions. Players are to provide their own lunch.
Saturday 16 November v Iona at Iona
- First 9.30 am 50 overs
- Combined 10A/Seconds 1pm 35 overs
First XI/Second XI Football Trials
The College will commence the First XI /Second XI football program next week on Monday 11 November at the Coorparoo AFL grounds from 3.30-5.00pm and will continue for three consecutive weeks as listed below.
- Monday 11 November
- Wednesday 13 November
- Wednesday 27 November
Currently we have a list of students who we require to attend the trials posted on the website under the AIC football section. Any other student who isn’t listed and would like the opportunity to trial is welcome to attend.
A full pre-season schedule outlining all trial and training dates in Term 4, 2019 and Term 1, 2020 is also posted on the web within the AIC football section. It is our plan to have a First and Second football squad selected and involved in a pre-season program. Boys are to find their own way to the venue.
2020 COACHES/MANAGERS AND OFFICIALS NEEDED – OUR BOYS NEED YOUR HELP!
The Villanova Sports Department is currently seeking coaches, managers and officials for the AIC sports program in 2020. In particular, we require the assistance of staff, parents, old boys and friends of the College to take on the many duties needed to ensure that every student has the opportunity to participate and enjoy all the benefits that playing sport provides as well as ensuring the ongoing growth and development of our sports programs.
Villanova’s success in sport is dependent upon many factors, one being the generosity of members within our community to give of their time and efforts in order to serve our students by taking on specific roles. These roles include coach, manager, referee, umpire, scorer etc. If you are able to help out in any way, could you please complete the ‘2020 Coach, Manager and Officiating – Nomination Form’ available on the College Website and from the Sports Office and return it to the College’s Sports Office as soon as possible.
All forms received will be compiled into a database. Before each season commences a member of the Sports Office will contact those who have expressed an interest to assist. A final confirmation of commitment will be sought, and further details will be given.
I thank all those who were able to assist throughout 2019 and I invite those who would like to assist in 2020 to become involved for the benefit of our students and the College. I am sure you will find it a rewarding venture.
SWIMMING/VOLLEYBALL AND CRICKET CLINICS – 2020
Please find below some date claimers regarding the up-coming swimming, volleyball and cricket clinics, which are open to all students from Year 5-12 in 2020. These are great opportunities for our student athletes to develop their skills before the 2020 AIC sport season commences.
Cricket Clinic – 14, 15 and 16 January at Villanova Park (information flyer is found in the AIC cricket section on the website)
Swim Clinic – 20 January at Langlands Pool
Volleyball Clinic – 20 January at Goold Hall
VILLANOVA COLLEGE SWIMMING – LANGLANDS POOL
Please find below the dates which training will cease over the upcoming vacation period at Langlands Pool. We certainly hope all our swimmers will continue their training throughout the Christmas holiday period.
Last day – Friday 20 December 2019
Start back – Monday 6 January 2020
Mr Craig Stariha, Director of Sport